I like starting over. When I first started to play golf with my sons they let me have 4 “do overs” each game. As you read the Bible over and over regularly you will easily notice that God loves to let people start over who are sincere and serious about growing in character. Tomorrow is the first day of a new year, a great time to start over on some things. Tomorrow as the first of a new year make a firm goal to read through the Bible using a good Bible reading plan. JBC has two plans, and they are both exceptional, and easy to use. The online (get it at JBC’s web sight, http://www.jbc.church)program is the best, with very good teaching using short video clips about each book in the Bible and major topics as you read through them. Make a prayer goal of 15 minutes each day, and have a prayer journal with the names of all the people you know in it to pray for routinely. Try using the App “PrayerMate” as your prayer journal, I use it and it is super helpful. Make a church attendance goal, a giving goal, a date your wife goal, an exercise goal, and a diet/weight loss goal. Join an accountability group and share your goals with them. Don’t continue to take the easy road in life that leads to mediocrity at best.
The goal that I am going to be most serious about is losing weight. Today I weigh 225 lbs and my target weight is 188 lbs, so I will lose 37 lbs. I will lose .25 lbs every day, 1 lb in 4 days, and 37 lbs in 148 days or 21 weeks or 5 months. I can easily do that, and I will. It isn’t going to be a complicated diet, basically eliminating refined sugar and flour from my diet. I do have a goal of fasting 36 hours once each week that will be part of this, along with my 90 minutes a day of exercise.
I have included my 70 goals for 2019 in this blog, following-
Dee’s 2019 goals
1. I will read 14 chapters in my Bible every day, majoring on Philippians and Colossians.
2. I will pray by myself for 1 hour every day using the App, “PrayerMate”, and I will keep the prayer App up to date with names and pictures and prayer needs and answers.
3. I will read 80 pages every week, 20 books for the year, 5 books will be on “Church Growth”, 5 will be on “Leadership”, and 5 on Philippians and Colossians.
4. I will pray with Patty 3 times minimum each week.
5. I will write my blog every day, working hard to improve my writing skill, and praying and asking God to bless this ministry, so that the number of subscribers goes from 68 to 100, and the total number of views goes from 57,000 to 70,000.
6. I will ride my stationary bike, lift weights, punch the heavy bag, and run for a total 90 minutes every day.
7. I will build a go-cart with James Duke and Will Doughton, two of my grandsons who are about 10 years old. I will be on the lookout for further projects to do with grandkids.
8. I will ride my bicycle on a 2,000 mile trip with Glacier National Park being the half way point, that will take 33 days to complete, and I will read and write each evening in camp, working towards the goal of having 30 messages from Philippians and Colossians.
9. I will enter and finish the half marathon in Albany on Thanksgiving Day in 2.5 hours.
10. I will take my dory boat halibut fishing off the Oregon coast.
11. I will learn how to weld using a MIG welder.
12. I will memorize the books of Philippians and Colossians well.
13. I will teach through the books of Philippians and Colossians during my Sunday 8:00 am and Wednesday night classes beginning in October, 2019.
14. I will pray for every person in JBC once each week, and maintain my prayer journal keeping current with names, pictures and prayer needs.
15. I will study, write, and prepare 12 hours of teaching content and a syllabus for a seminar for church leaders on January 20th to the 22nd, 2020 called, “Leading for Change”.
16. I will start 3 new men’s accountability groups, and hand off 3 groups.
17. I will start two satellite church’s using a video presentation of my preaching as the preaching part of the church and recruit and train two campus pastors.
18. I will work diligently with and train well Shane Perez to be an exceptionally good Campus Pastor of our first satellite church.
19. I will work closely with and train well, Brandon Morris to be the best “Follow-up, Assimilation, and Evangelism” pastor as part of the staff at jbc, on the planet earth.
20. I will improve, revamp, and organize our “Home Group” ministry so that it is incredibly effective as a place where Biblical fellowship happens, and will work with Brandon Morris to lead this ministry.
21. I will work with Jason Neufeldt to produce a very good video of the existing ministries of JBC to use at a “New Comers” dinner 3 times each year.
22. I will work with Brandon Morris to plan, organize, and hold 3 “New Comers” dinners.
23. I will faithfully work with the pastors in the accountability groups, and schedule and plan 3 lunches with them.
24. I will faithfully schedule, plan, and organize 20 staff meetings that will include training, encouragement, accountability, and prayer.
25. I will attempt to identify, and recruit from JBC a faithful, available, and teachable person, and to train them to be a volunteer staff/pastor.
26. I will plan and organize a one month camping trip to the Steen’s Mts during archery season with Patty; I will hunt for elk and deer, and fish in “Fish Lake”.
27. During my one month time at the Steen’s Mts, I will read and write for 5 hours each day working at getting 30 messages done from the books of Philippians and Colossians.
28. I will start a diet on a January 1st, and go from 225 lbs to 188 lbs by June 1st.
29. I will faithfully work on Scripture Typer for 30 minutes each day, and maintain a place at 200 or better, and will increase the total number of verses memorized well to 1,000.
30. I will use old circular saw blades and make 20 good, well balanced, sharp broad heads to use in archery hunting for deer and elk this year.
31. I will plan and save so Patty and I can travel and see our kids and grandkids in Fairbanks, Alaska and Oahu.
32. I will go fishing in Soldotna, Alaska in July, and will attempt to take a son, or son-in-law, or grandson with me.
33. I will study and write 4 really good lessons on marriage, and have them finished by April 1st. To be taught at the marriage retreats planned at Odell Lake.
34. I will, without a doubt, organize my shop, super well, and keep it that way. I will develop a specific time table with rewards and consequences for success or failure of that time table by January 1st, 2019.
35. I will reroof my shop, including the back lean to.
36. I will re-side the front of my shop with Hardi-plank and paint it.
37. I will begin the 2 year goal of taking out the fruit trees and putting in a half acre fish pond on the front of our property.
38. I will diligently prepare to teach my “Men’s Leadership Class”, “Ladies Leadership Class”, “Leadership Class II”, and “Leadership Class III”, and I will work super hard to improve all aspects of all the classes.
39. I will take Patty on a date at least twice each month, and I will work hard at communicating well with her.
40. I will faithfully attempt to encourage those who have drifted away from faithful attendance at JBC to return through notes, emails, and invitations to special events.
41. I will watch the instructional DVD on taxidermy, and do a full body mount on the mountain lion I killed. If it turns out good, I will put it in the house, and if it turns out bad I will put it in my “Man Room”.
42. I will write 50 hand written notes each week to people in JBC.
43. I will work to make the Wednesday night service an effective time, and will include in it 30 minutes of teaching from the books of Hebrews, Philippians, and Colossians, 10 minutes of worship, and 20 minutes of discussion on the lesson.
44. I will pray through the JBC church family prayer letter each week, and transfer serious prayer requests to my “PrayerMate” prayer journal.
45. I will write in my personal journal at least twice each week, as part of my self-examination discipline to help myself to grow in character.
46. I will religiously keep track of my time and record it each day in my iPad.
47. I will pray at a minimum of 3 corporate prayer times at JBC each week.
48. I will pray at least 40 hours in each of the 4 “Five Day Prayer Events” that are held at JBC.
49. I will begin every day with a prayer of commitment presenting my life to Jesus, declaring Him Lord of my life, asking Him for guidance and strength for the day to please Him in all that I do.
50. I will attend a major “Church Growth” seminar and take at least one staff member with me.
51. I will give Patty and Sherri at least 2 hours of work on “Home Improvement” projects each week, and ask them to make a list at least one week in advance.
52. I will study and write about one of the 26 character traits on my list each week using it as a tool to examine my life and press on to maturity. I will rotate through the list twice in the year.
53. I will start on the rebuild project of my 1986 Ford pickup.
54. I will start on building from scratch the XR3, three wheeled car.
55. I will pray for Patty, my Mom, my kids and spouses, grandkids, and jbc staff and families every day.
56. I will pray for a list of lost friends, family and acquaintances every day.
57. I will subscribe to 6 blogs written by pastors and church health professionals, and read one of them each day.
58. I will re-start my aquaponics system in my green house.
59. I will use Facebook as a tool to connect with people in JBC and in the area, and I will write out complete prayers in response to problems or trials that I read about. I will keep close track of my time and will not go over 3 hours each week.
60. I will go fishing every chance I get.
61. I will make a 15X20 canvas wall tent for my one month camping goal in the Steen’s.
62. I will fast one day (36 hours) a week, and I will fast for 56 hours in each of the 4 “Five Days of Prayer” event.
63. I will drive up to Trout Lake to visit my Mom at least once each month.
64. I will install a Berkley Jet Pump and motor in my boat.
65. I will plan a 4 day family camping and fishing trip in July or August.
66. I will fix my hot tub.
67. I will pray corporately for a total of 300 hours.
68. I will learn how to sew.
69. I will listen to at least 100 sermons on “you tube” and pod cast.