Who does God give joy to?
1. God gives joy to those who seek him, who seek to know Him, who seek His presence, and who seek His face.
Psalms 16:11 In Your presence is fullness of joy; In Your right hand there are pleasures forever.
Psalms 43:4 Then I will go to the altar of God,
To God my exceeding joy;
Isaiah 9:3 You shall increase their gladness; They will be glad in Your presence as with the gladness of harvest,
Psalms 27:8 When You said, “Seek My face,” my heart said to You, “Your face, O Lord, I shall seek.”
Psalms 105:4 Seek the Lord and His strength;
Seek His face continually.
Psalms 21:6 For You make him most blessed forever;
You make him joyful with gladness in Your presence.
-We seek God by reading His Word and spending time with Him in prayer.
2. God gives joy to those who rejoice always despite their circumstances and emotions as an act of obedience to Him. We can choose to be controlled by our circumstances by acting the way we feel, or we can choose to rejoice no matter what and feel the way we act.
Philippians 4:4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice!
– God will reward the act of rejoicing with joy, He will put joy in us.
Psalms 4:7 You have put gladness in my heart,
More than when their grain and new wine abound.
3. God gives joy to those who declare that they don’t need anything but God to have joy.
Psalms 73:25 Whom have I in heaven but You?
And besides You, I desire nothing on earth.
Philippians 3:8 More than that, I count all things to be loss in view of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them but rubbish so that I may gain Christ,
– The world has brainwashed us into thinking that we need certain things to be happy. We need to reprogram our brains so that we believe the truth.
Romans 12:2 And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.
When I am fishing and catching no fish I can become irritated, discontent, and very unhappy. But if I tell myself repeatedly, over and over again, “Dear Lord, thank You for the privilege of being able to fish, thank You for this time in Your creation, You are my joy, I do not need to catch fish to be happy.”I am soon feeling good and blessed by God.
4. God gives joy to those who ask Him for His joy to fill their heart. The more we ask, the more God gives. My prayer often goes like this, “Dear Lord, I am in a blue funk right now because of life, would You put your joy in me, I believe You are the source of joy, I desire nothing besides You.”