This Blog is an expression of my opinion on the government control in these days, my attempt to understand the times.
In 1968 when I was a Freshman in College the Hong Kong Flu broke out and was a worldwide pandemic, and 1 to 4 million people died in the world and about 200,000 to 300,000 in the United States. Both those numbers are close to 10 X more than the present pandemic numbers. The Hong Kong flu was basically treated like any other flu, that is allowed to run it’s course, and then it was over. During those years the big fuss was the Vietnam war and the flu was a minor issue. Though many died and got sick, there was no quarantine, no travel restrictions, no masks, and I never missed church. Some would say that if it hadn’t been for the restrictions that the Government issued that this Pandemic would have been much worse, we will never know the answer to that, but based on recent findings, I doubt that to be true. The problem is that those who communicate the news are so agenda driven, prone to overhyping everything, and outright lying it is very hard to know exactly what is true.
But in the midst of swirling hype, exaggeration, and lies I know 8 things that are true;
1. What I do know to be true is that governments always move in the direction of control over the lives of people, and then over control. Studying world history and the various world empires, the Egyptian Empire, the Babylonian Empire under Nebuchadnezzar, the Persian Empire, the Greek Empire under Alexander the Great, the Roman Empire under the various Ceasars, Germany under Hitler, Stalin and then the Soviet Union, and dozens of other repressive governments that exist today demonstrate that governments all move in the direction of controlling the lives of the people that it is over. The book of Daniel in the Bible has much to say about Governments right down to the present time.
Daniel 3:4-7 To you the command is given, O peoples, nations and men of every language, that at the moment you hear the sound of the horn, flute, lyre, trigon, psaltery, bagpipe and all kinds of music, you are to fall down and worship the golden image that Nebuchadnezzar the king has set up. But whoever does not fall down and worship shall immediately be cast into the midst of a furnace of blazing fire.”
The history of the world as we know it will end with a man becoming the ruler of the world who is called ”the beast”, and his ascension to power is described in Daniel and Revelation.
Revelation 13:16-17, He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads, and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
2. Another thing I know to be true is that Governments almost always attempt to control people by creating fear. The media created an amazing level of fear in a very short amount of time which fed on itself which created a mass hysteria which caused people to almost immediately fall in line with all of the rules with little fussing even though our Constitutional Rights were violated to the max.
3. Another thing that I know to be true is that Governments will always eventually move to control people by controlling the economy and the availability of life-sustaining resources. Socialism is not a good idea or a bad idea, it is an underlying force.
4. Another thing I know to be true is that Government always wants to expand geographically, control more land, more area. Historically this has happened by wars, but the current method is through politics, the political push is towards Globilsm rather than Nationalism. The ”Beast”, the Anti-christ will be a world wide ruler.
5. Another thing I know to be true is that in the midst of this movement of governments to control the lives of people that disunity and hatred will grow stronger and stronger between people, even in families and in churches. In the words of Jesus in Matthew 24:10, ”At that time many will fall away and will betray one another and hate one another.”
6. Another thing that I know to be true is that all Governments sooner or later begin to resist and attempt to control the spread of Christianity, than oppose it, than persecute it.
Psalms 2:2-4 The kings of the earth take their stand
And the rulers take counsel together
Against the Lord and against His Anointed, saying,
“Let us tear their fetters apart
And cast away their cords from us!”
He who sits in the heavens laughs,
The Lord scoffs at them.
7. Another thing I know to be true is that the reason for all of this is stated in Ephesians 6:12; ”For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places.”
8. One last thing I know to be true is that Jesus is going to return one of these days and establish His Kingdom on the earth and then righteousness will reign.
Daniel 7:14 And to Him was given dominion, Glory and a kingdom, That all the peoples, nations and men of every language Might serve Him. His dominion is an everlasting dominion Which will not pass away;
And His kingdom is one Which will not be destroyed.
Daniel 7:27 Then the sovereignty, the dominion and the greatness of all the kingdoms under the whole heaven will be given to the people of the saints of the Highest One; His kingdom will be an everlasting kingdom, and all the dominions will serve and obey Him.’
So, using the title of the book published in 1976 written by Francis A. Scheaffer, one of my favorite authors, ”How Then Should We Live?” What should I do, how should I talk, what should I write?