We had our “Good Friday” service tonight at JBC. The Jefferson Evangelical Church and the Abundant Life Center joined us for a community service together, and it was such a blessed time. The highlight of the evening was the Communion service and the worship that was part of Communion and that followed it. The main point of the evening was to try and understand the full price that Jesus paid so that our sins could be forgiven and we could live in heaven with God. We don’t really think much about the full price that was paid for our sins. Fully understanding the price that was paid for our redemption is sobering, are we that important to God that He was willing to pay that kind of price for our sins?
1. He left heaven, emptied Himself of all that He was as God and became fully man. How far was that journey?
2. He was tortured on the cross, and experienced horrendous pain as part of the price He paid For us to be forgiven.
3. He became our sin, that is, God the Father looked at,Jesus as if he actually committed the sins we committed and punished Jesus for doing them. He poured out His wrath as a holy God against the atrocities of all mankind’s sin on His perfect and sinless Son.
4. The oneness, the unity of the Son and the Father was broken for the first time in eternity as God the Father turned His back on His Son because He had become our sin.
5. Jesus felt the guilt and shame of the sins of every person who has ever lived or will live, His soul was tormented as our sins became His sin.
To think lightly, or naively about what Jesus did because of what we have done so that we could be forgiven is the ultimate in the lack of appreciation. We get used to the story of redemption and it no longer “wows” us with the amazing love of our Heavenly Father.