Oliver Wendell Holmes wrote ” Some people are so heavenly minded they are no earthly good”. I am not sure what prompted that quote, but the real truth is that the more heavenly minded a person is the more earthly good they are.
Hebrews 11:13-16 and having confessed that they were strangers and exiles on the earth….. But as it is, they desire a better country, that is, a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God; for He has prepared a city for them.
That is an interesting statement, “God is not ashamed to be called their God”, another way of saying that would be “God is proud of us”. To be heavenly minded means we think often about heaven, contemplating what it is like, using our faith in heaven as a source of encouragement when hard times come, and being motivated to do good in this life anticipating the judgment we will experience by Jesus and the rewards we will potentially receive and take with us into eternity.
Some benefits of being heavenly minded:
(1) Thinking a lot about heaven and the judgment we go through right before we enter into eternity will motivate us to do good to those around us.
(2) Those who are heavenly minded are tough minded, they endure trials well because they have a hope for the future, a light at the end of the tunnel as it were.
(3) Those who have a strong faith in heaven don’t grieve the same way when a person they love dies, as someone who believes we just turn to dirt after we die.
(4) Those who have no hope of going to a heaven where joy reigns, where there is no politics, no war, no sin where we never get sick or tired, who have only this life than it is over, will become more and more focused on getting what can be gotten while they can in this life.
(5) For me personally, nothing energizes me like a few minutes of day dreaming about the glory of heaven.